New Year, New Look: 8 Decorating Ideas to Try in 2015
It’s always a good idea to freshen up your décor to invite new energy into your apartment. A quick change can make you fall in love with your place all over again. Try these simple budget-friendly decorating ideas to spruce up your home in the new year.
1. Purge. Streamline your belongings and donate the rest to charity. Eliminating clutter is the most inexpensive way to make you feel better about your home.
[ Related: 8 Free Apps Every Design Enthusiast Should Have ]
2. Invest in Accessories. Get rid of the winter blues by updating your throw pillows in fresh spring colors. This is also a great opportunity to replace your bedding with a new duvet and shams or to invest in a new shower curtain. Soft, cool hues like teal, tangerine, mauve, yellow, aquamarine and light gray are this season’s hottest color trends.
3. Rearrange the Furniture. Playing around with a new layout is the easiest way to liven up a room. Position the bed on a different wall or move a side table or accent chair to a different location.
[ Search: Find Apartments for Rent in Northwest ]
4. Tackle the Walls. Tired of the gallery wall trend, yet? Consider hanging an oversize piece of artwork above a sofa or bed. Jazz up the walls with paint color or stencil art. Update sliding closet doors with peel-and-stick wallpaper. Hang unique art on the wall — vintage records, instruments, hats or scarves add a personal touch.
5. Revamp Existing Furniture. If you have an old sofa or chair, consider reupholstering it in a bold fabric. Give an accent lamp or side table a new look with a fresh coat of paint.
[ Related: The Anatomy of a Well-Dressed Bed ]
6. Appeal to Your Senses. Visit a candle shop and select a signature scent for your home.
7. Connect With Nature. Introduce life into your space with an indoor tree. Trees come in a variety of different heights, work well in small spaces and lofty rooms, and help purify the air. Fiddle leaf fig, lemon, dragon and rubber trees — each known for their beautiful leaves and for being fairly low-maintenance — are the best trees for indoors.
8. Personalize the Space. Did you travel last year or take new family photos? Switch up the photos in your frames with new pictures. A well-decorated home should tell your story.
Find your next apartment in the area with Apartment Showcase.