What Service Offerings Do Residents Expect From Their Onsite Management Team?
I hope everyone had a wonderful Memorial Day holiday! I do believe summer weather is finally here. I really appreciate the overwhelming positive feedback and words of encouragement from everyone. Please don’t be shy. Let me know if there is a topic you would like us to cover. We are here to help you be the best you can be.
This month, we asked our onsite clients what they think their residents expect from the onsite management team in the way of services such as paying rent online, ability to submit maintenance requests online, and resident portals.
Survey Says: Online Communication and Services
I am pleased to report that the majority of the sites we surveyed acknowledged their clients want online communication and services from the management teams.
- 64% surveyed have resident portals that provide online rent payment and maintenance request capabilities, as well as other management to resident communication features.
- 21% do not offer this type of online communication for their residents.
- 15% of people surveyed were not sure, or said something is currently in the process of being developed.
More important than what our onsite people think their residents want or need is what the residents actually want from their onsite management teams. Ocius sent a comprehensive survey to almost 4,500 apartment residents throughout the United States. They received an outstanding response of 1,054 responses.
The highlights of the Ocius survey include:
- 59.5% of residents want to receive their monthly statement electronically.
- 29.1% prefer electronic and paper while only 11.4% indicated they prefer paper statements monthly.
- 59.5% prefer to make rent and utility payments using their mobile devices, with 31.5% indicating this was “very important” and 27.8% saying this is “important”.
- Only 10.2% said it was not important to use their mobile device for making payments.
- When asked what amenities were the most important, having a gym was #1 followed by a pool at #2.
- When asked what amenities they were most likely to use in the next six months, a gym was 1st followed by a mobile resident app in 2nd place.
Check out the Ocius survey for more information.
Is a Resident Portal a Good Investment?
If you are still on the fence as to whether a resident portal is a good investment for your company ask yourself these questions:
- What is your current method to contact all of your residents quickly in case of an emergency?
- How much is printing and sending your monthly statements and rent reminders costing you?
- Do you have a method to communicate to residents for surveys, resident gatherings and maintenance issues?
Please let me know in the comments below if you would like more information on this subject, or if you would like to make a suggestion for an upcoming topic.