How to Handle Renter Complaints
Renter complaints are all unique one way or another, but when it comes down to handling them correctly- that can be the tough part. Below is a list of tips on how you should handle renter complaints.
Common complaints of renters include maintenance, neighbors, pets, parking, and being locked out.
- Every Situation is Unique- Do not treat all your renters like they all have the same complaint or maintenance issue, they most likely won’t. Treating each situation uniquely will help you understand exactly how to fix the problem.
- Listen to the Complaint- Take the time to listen to your renter’s concerns. Note any details that are involved in the complaint. Show concern for your renter’s complaints/issues; showing that you care is more than a simple gesture. Stay calm and do not lash out at the renter no matter how upset they may be or how bogus their request is.
- Availability- Providing your renters with a flexible schedule will set them as ease. This will give your renter the ability to file a maintenance request or file a complaint while properly explaining it.
- Professionalism- The manner in how you address a complaint or issue is very important. Be reasonable with your renter and try and help in the most adequate way possible.
- Turn-Around Time- Renters expect issues and requests to be addressed ASAP. Try and find a solution to your renter’s issue, fix any maintenance problems, etc in a timely manner.
- Follow Up- Always follow up! This will ensure that the maintenance request or issue that you addressed for your renter was taken care of successfully.
If you follow the key points above, you will be able to handle your renters, easy as pie! Comment below other ways to deal with renter complaints and issues.