Go Whole Hog at the Safeway Barbecue Battle This Weekend
Barbecue adherents in the Washington, D.C., area, be those renting in Dupont Circle, Germantown or Arlington, look forward to the first summer weekend in June when they get a little slice of meaty heaven: the 22nd Annual Safeway Barbecue Battle.
This year the event falls on the weekend of June 21-22 and again takes place along Pennsylvania Avenue, between 9th and 14th Streets. They bill it as “Washington’s largest annual food and music festival.” There’s always a lot going on at this thing, and the 2014 version is no exception.
Here are some highlights:
- Barbecue teams will battle for $40,000-plus in cash and prizes in the Safeway National Barbecue Championship contests.
- The Safeway Sampling Pavilion will offer free food samples of barbecue and grilled food. See chef Sarah Deckert hold court from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Celebrity chef and cookbook authors will be featured on the Demonstration Stage.
- There will be entertainment – and lots of it – in the form of 30 bands on three stages, including Robert Randolph & the Family Band, the All Mighty Senators and Deanna Bogart.
- Attendees will get to experience interactive exhibits “providing hands-on and virtual fun for all.”
- The NBA Nation will make a stop, featuring NBA Nation ambassador and dunk kingpin Darryl Dawkins.
Here’s a look at last year’s battle:
Tickets for this year’s festival go for $15 at the door and $12 online in advance. Children 12 and under get in free when accompanied by a paying adult. This is a rain or shine event.
Sponsors are legion, so if you’re interested, by all means, click the link provided. The event will help raise funds for local children’s charities and the Capitol Area Food Bank. Their Facebook page will you keep abreast of all festival goings-on.
The Federal Triangle Metrorail stop on the Blue/Orange Line is right where all the action is. If you like fun, sun and barbecue, this event is for you.