Should You Get Insurance On Your Rental Truck?

When moving to a new home, three options are usually available: hiring a full-service moving company, using truck rental services, or making use of your own vehicle. Using your own vehicle is difficult if not impossible for long-distance moves, and you need to have access to a pickup truck or van. On the other hand, while full-service moving companies are stress-free and convenient, they are often very expensive. Rental trucks are a nice in-between solution because they make the process much easier without the cost of a moving company. Few people consider insurance on rental trucks necessary, but it may be in your best interest to do so.

Related: Moving to a New Apartment? Here’s How to Save Money on the Truck 

Calculating Insurance


Does Your Personal Auto Insurance Apply?

The first thing you need to do is contact your personal auto insurance to see if they cover you as a driver when you use a rental truck. Most insurers do not cover rental trucks because of their gross vehicle weight but it’s worth asking. If you have collision coverage, it is possible for your insured personal vehicle to be covered if damaged on a rented trailer when the vehicle is being transported, though you would still be liable for the cost of the trailer itself.

If your personal insurance doesn’t cover it, special coverage is an option. This extra fee can be worth it because even if you are one of the most careful drivers in the world, you can still make a mistake, and it can be an especially costly one in this case.


Should You Get Insurance On Your Rental Truck?

Credit: By click on morguefile



If you do decided to get special coverage, here are some types to consider.

  • Limited Damage Waiver: This relieves you of any financial responsibility for damage to the truck as long as you are not violating the terms of the rental agreement.
  • Personal Accident Insurance: This offers accidental death and emergency medical coverage for the renter of the truck and all the passengers.
  • Supplemental Liability Insurance: This provides coverage in case a third party sustains property and/or bodily damage during an accident when the renter or a listed authorized driver is driving. In most states, it is necessary for the renter and all drivers to be at least 21 years old.
  • Cargo Insurance: This type of coverage protects the furniture and other possessions of the renter if damage or loss occurs due to natural disasters and/or accidents during transit. This does not cover damage that occurs while unloading or loading.

  • Towing Insurance: With this coverage, you enjoy protection against collision damage for a vehicle while it is being towed by, detached from, or attached to your rental truck. Furthermore, the vehicle is covered while being loaded onto, transported by, or unloaded from the carrier.
  • Credit Card Rental Insurance: Some type of coverage is offered by many credit cards for rental vehicles, but in most cases they draw the line at covering moving trucks and exotic cars, so do your research. 


Understanding the conditions of all the insurance options is a good thing, regardless of what type of coverage you choose. Moving can be a difficult process, so having rental insurance is just one more way to reduce your stress and ensure the move will go well.


Looking for a new apartment? Find one in the DC area with Apartment Showcase.

You may also like...