6 Reasons to Rent an Apartment in Arlington
1. The Hipster Quotient – A while back I hailed Arlington as a Hipster Mecca or some such, but to be quite honest, I may’ve laid it on a little thick. So I went ahead and compiled some data and will let you be the judge. You might’ve heard about “Housing4Hipsters,” a curiously-named county program aimed at youngish buyers. Check. And … hmmm … there’s Galaxy Hut, which features bands (on Sunday/Monday nights only) I’ve never even heard of. Of course, I’m not a hipster up on all new bands (and couldn’t care less, either). Another check.
Galaxy Hut also serves craft beer and vegan food: check, check. A quick search on Yelp.com shows us quite a few area java sellers. Check. And in 2012, Bicycling named Arlington number 23 on their list of “America’s Top 50 Bike-Friendly Cities.” Yet another check. Maybe I was on to something after all. So what point am I trying to make? That 20- and 30-somethings with bad hair, toting iPads and ratty packs on their bikes, should do well here.
2. Walkability – Like many neighborhoods in the metro area, this one is quite walkable. Walkable enough to garner the number one spot in the American Podiatric Medical Association’s list of the “Top 10 Best U.S. Walking Cities” in 2005. And they look to stay that way, as evidenced by the WalkArlington initiative. And hey, an impressive 11 Metro stations will give you somewhere to walk to.
3. Bikeability – We touched on this earlier, but Arlington seems to be as bikeable as it is walkable. The BikeArlington initiative’s “goal is to get more Arlingtonians biking more often, whether they’re commuting, shopping, or just having fun.” There are 100-plus miles of multiuse trails, on-street bike lanes and designated bike routes that help you get where you need to be. Don’t forget the folks at Capitol Bikeshare, either.
4. Shopping – You have your Ballston Common Mall, you got your Crystal City Shops, and then there’s The Fashion Centre at Pentagon City, and that’s just three places to buy, buy, buy.
[ Related: 4 Great Reasons to Rent an Apartment in Adams Morgan ]
5. Fun – Regardless of who lives here, this place has a lot of things to do. You wanna see a show and have a beer or two, try the aforementioned Galaxy Hut or IOTA Club & Cafe (I saw a double bill of Brother Danielson and I believe Iron & Wine there back in the day). You wanna eat, why don’t you try one of Arlington’s many restaurants? You wanna get away from the rigors of urbanization? Try one of the county’s many parks. Getting tubby? Try out FitArlington. Hankering for something a little more upscale in terms of entertainment? Well, check out Signature Theatre. Now I wish I lived here.
Arlington would be quite an impressive place to live even if it weren’t a neighbor to the federal behemoth next door that likes to tax the you-know-what out of you.
Find your next apartment in the area with Apartment Showcase.