Furnished vs. Unfurnished – Which Apartment Is Right for You?
Furnishing an entire apartment, whether it’s a three-bedroom pad or a studio, can be a large investment. You may have all kinds of pieces of furniture in your place, but the question you need to ask yourself is, “Do I really need all these things?” Not being able to answer this question with satisfaction is one of the reasons some people opt to rent a furnished apartment.
When hunting for a new apartment, you will be presented with two options — furnished or unfurnished. Both options have advantages and disadvantages. In this article, we will discuss both options and see which one is best for you. I can give you a perspective on each, but the choice will be yours.
[ Related: How to Paint Wooden Furniture Like a Pro ]
When contemplating renting a furnished apartment, it’s important to remember to check out the place and its furnishings before you make a decision. Furnishing quality can differ from place to place. Just because it’s furnished doesn’t mean that it’s furnished with nice stuff.
Here are some tips if you are looking to rent a furnished apartment:
- Make sure that it has all the furnishings that you will need. Some places will say they are furnished but will not be furnished with more than a bed. Always look before you rent.
- What is the quality of the furnishings? Just because it’s furnished doesn’t mean that you will want the furnishings. Furnished apartments rarely have new furnishings. It’s important to check the quality of the furnishings and see when they have been last cleaned.
- Furnished apartments are often more expensive, since you are renting the furniture as well. Be aware that if you accidentally break any of the furnishings, you can lose your deposit.
Property managers will sometimes add furnishings to make an apartment easier to rent. Studio apartments are often furnished. Furnished places can be nice if you don’t have furniture of your own. When you’re first getting started in life, a furnished apartment can be a big benefit.
An unfurnished place is great if you have your own furniture. Why use someone else’s stuff when you can use your own? When you use your own stuff, you can make sure of the quality, style and how clean it is. Even if you find a furnished apartment that you like, you can always use your own items to make the place more comfortable.
Here are some perks to choosing an unfurnished apartment:
- When you have your own furniture, you will not have to worry about accidentally damaging the landlord’s stuff. This will help ensure that you don’t lose your deposit.
- Remember, “unfurnished” doesn’t mean bare. You will still be supplied with appliances.
- One of the greatest benefits is that you will have unlimited decorating freedom. This gives you the ability to put what you want into your apartment, making the place feel more like your own.
These factors all depend on your current situation though. Only you know what will work best for you. Just remember to weigh your options carefully and check out the place before you make a commitment.
Find your next apartment in the area with Apartment Showcase.